Tuesday 13 November 2012

Moving On

My husband and I recently moved! I love moving, I hate packing, but I love the moving process and the unpacking... oh the unpacking mmm mmm, love it! Finding new homes for your things, trying different things out that you hadn't thought of before, it's a whole new world of possibilities. We moved into a 2 bedroom apartment and its much more spacious, more space to fit all my crap! Everyone was so surprised at how much stuff I was able to cram into a 1 bedroom. Oh I can pack it baby, I can pack it in good. But with a 2 bedroom I don't have to sit there and think about how I can squeeze another piece of furniture that I just had  to get into my small space. The husband can now put stuff INTO his night stand, it's no longer turned facing the bed because there wasn't enough room between the bed and the wall! This is huge people, huge! In fact, there's even EXTRA space in between EACH (yes each!) night stand and the walls!! (I'd use more exclamation points for that sentence but I feel I already go on exclamation point overload). Of course the cram-everything-in person inside of me is automatically thinking "oh, what can I put in the little space between the night stand and the wall" but I stop myself because I can hear my mom's voice in the back of my head telling me I'm a hoarder.

Naturally I want to redecorate the entire place, and with the new IKEA going up at the end of the month I'll be in redecorating heaven. But I'll need to do it on a budget. I've decided I want to tackle it one room at a time, I've started with the bathroom, it's so ugly. Bad linoleum, ugly brown vanity and even uglier counter top. So I'll have to work with what I have but I have a few idea's brewing. I have brown and green towels - I regretted this right after I got them all but I have a bajillion of them so I can't really go back on that now. And I have a white and light grey shower curtain, which actually doesn't look bad with the brown towels at least so that's sort of the color scheme I want to go by.

Enter ugly bathroom:



I want to add a few things to the bathroom to spruce it up a bit. My main issue with this room is the vanity, I'm thinking of maybe removing the doors and putting a skirt around the entire thing, like this: 


But my vanity is larger so I'm not sure if that will make it look worse? 

So right now for the bathroom this is my To Do List:
-Make a makeshift vanity skirt to see if it will look good
-If it does look good, find some fabric to do so. (ask mom to help make skirt)
-Replace towel bar with some other form of hanging
-Put artwork above toilet, or some kind of storage for functionality
-Come up with ideas to clean up/store things on top of vanity

I think that's as far as I'll go with that room. After that I want to work on the bedroom. I don't want to do too much in that room, just put some pictures up and/or artwork, add some decorative or functional things to the top of the dresser and put something above the headboard. Most of those things I already have on hand, its just a matter of doing them. 

From there I'll move onto my make-up room. Yes you heard me right, I have my very own make-up room. Oh, you want to see a picture of said glorious room? Okay! 


It's probably not as glamorous as you envisioned but I moved in on Friday, C'mon! The closet doors are currently being fixed so that eyesore will be dealt with soon. For this room I know that I want it "travel" themed, but that's as far as I've gotten. I have no ideas for it yet. Also I'd love a new make-up vanity but the one I want is very pricey and I'm sure The Husband wouldn't like me for that.  

Isn't she gorgeous?!?

I want this beaut along with these: 



The vanity is $200- $300, the chest of drawers is $450 and the Armoire is $400. I can hear my bank account laughing at me already! I can see the make-up vanity being attainable, maybe a birthday gift? But the other two I may as well forget about. 

So those are my ideas/dreams for now. After I've completed a room I'll be sure to post pictures of them!

Until next time I'll leave you with my cute lil Christmas tree before and after. (I procrastinated on this like no other, it took me probably a total of 2 hours just to put balls on the dang thing) 




No comments:

Post a Comment