Tuesday 27 November 2012

Freshening Up

I completed a little project yesterday in my bathroom. It's nothing much but I'm smitten. Usually when I do projects they don't turn out well... at all. This one actually did! With the help of the Husband, this is what we made:


And here's a close up:


Aaaaand even closer up:


Bad lighting as always but you get the point, I never said I'd be good at taking photos. And lastly, this was my inspiration picture: 


I was going to say that mine looked really empty and I was thinking of maybe adding shelving to the top of it all but as I look at this other one I like the wash cloth idea. Although, we would never get any use out of the wash cloth (shout out to the loofa!) so I don't know. I'll try it out and see what it looks like. 

what I used was these really sweet bamboo hooks from Dollarama. They have a sticky back so I simply just stuck them on the wall. I let them sit there for 24 hours before hanging anything on them. Crossing my fingers it doesn't peel off the paint when we move out. I did make sure to stick 2 of them onto where the previous towel rod was hanging so if I do need to touch up it will only be on 4 spots instead of 6 lol. The more I look at my version the more it looks like it needs some color, this wash cloth idea is looking better and better, or do any of you have any suggestions? It's so difficult because I can't paint, that would make a world of a difference :( Also I want a totally different color scheme then what I've got going on. I have green and brown towels and a grey and white shower curtain. But I discovered that a really light grey looks good with the dark brown, so I'm debating on getting light grey towels and then just storing away the green ones. Also I still want to add a sink skirt which I need to find fabric for but I'm thinking of incorporating grey,white and maybe another color so the overall color scheme will be 3 colors. And I'd like to switch out the dark brown bath mat I have in there for a color that better suits the overall room. I really wish I didn't have brown towels though, then I would do grey and blue and white. 

And because I like to make lists here is my Bathroom check list:

New shower curtain
Switch out towel rod
Add sink skirt
Switch out bath mat
Add shelving?
Add hanging baskets for towel storage

That is pretty much all that I will do to the bathroom. I've also been trying to cultivate ideas for the bedroom which is next on my list of things to do. I don't really want to do much in there since we really don't spend much time in it but I'd like to do something so I don't walk in there every day and cringe at how ugly it is. I hate the fact that we live in an apartment so I want to try to make it as nice looking as possible so I don't kill myself from ugly overload. I've got some inspiration pictures to share with you on this topic though. 




1. The Husband didn't want anything large or pointy above his head when we sleep in fear of dying or losing an eye so above the bed I have to keep it simple/light. I do like this idea although I think it would involve a lot of holes in the wall. 
2. If you can see it, it's the emblem above the bed that this pic is aiming at. This might be a better alternative to #1 and I'm really into monograms!
3. I like the side table ideas here, I'm thinking along the lines of making some artwork myself and hanging them above or behind the lamps on each side.
4. I like this artwork idea, I'm trying to come up with ideas where it's not just random photo's on all the walls but rather has a bit of structure
5. I love the industrial feel to this room. I'm not sure if we could do it but I just wanted to share it ;)
6. I'm also crushing on this above the bed idea. If you can't tell it's a rope like contraption with a quilt/blanket/cloth of your choice simply hanging down from it. If this fell on The Husband he'd get a carress like a kitten instead of the death claw like from Nellie's evil spawn of a cat if a picture frame were to fall on his face. (does that make sense? I really just wanted to reference Nellie's evil cat in the smoothest way possible, seriously, that cat  has issue's man).
7. These are just some side table decor ideas. But in truth I just had nothing to put in the last two slots. 
8. It's so small that you can't see the real beauty in this picture but I wanted to share anyway. This room is beautiful, I'd never be able to actually recreate this in my space but it's just so lovely :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment